Monday, August 27, 2012

Is your goose cooked if you don't bring home the bacon? Only in Canada

It's Canada goose but Canadian bacon.

I have no idea why there's a difference. I grew up saying Canadian goose until I was told I shouldn't say Canadian because the goose isn't a citizen of Canada. So then what about bacon? Don't get me wrong - I am all for bacon being eligible for citizenship in any country, but there does seem to be a contradiction here.

So, I looked up the issue on a couple of websites (trust me, I didn't spend a lot of time researching this) and the posters were all over the place regarding the usage of these words.

In the end, because The AP Stylebook uses Canada goose and Canadian bacon, that's what I use.

And one last thought - if Canada geese aren't really Canadians, then does that make them illegal immigrants?

No comments:

Post a Comment